[Loch-Ruadh] word for the day & a question

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Jul 18 13:51:55 PDT 2002

Madelina wrote:

(snip)
>Okay, here's my question:  Can anyone explain what the Holy Roman Empire
>was?

I found the foloowing information at http://serendipity.magnet.ch/twz/hre.html

The Holy Roman Empire was the medieval state that embraced most of central Europe and Italy under the rule of the German kings from 962 to 1806. It was considered to be a restoration and continuation of the ancient Roman Empire, although in fact it had little in common with its predecessor. Earlier, the Frankish king Charlemagne had revived the same name. His Roman Empire lasted from 800 to 925. In 962, Otto I of Germany and Pope John XII cooperated in a second revival. Threatened in his possession of the Papal States by Berengar II, king of Italy, John begged Otto to come to his aid. Otto did so, and the pope solemnly crowned him Emperor of the Romans as a reward. From this time, the German kings claimed the right to rule the empire.

Sent via the WebMail system at irishbard.com