[Loch-Ruadh] another word for the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Jul 31 10:31:19 PDT 2002

Your daily vocabulary lesson: abecedarian * \ay-bee-see-DAIR-ee-un\ *
(adjective) *1 a : of or relating to the alphabet b : alphabetically
arranged 2 : rudimentary
Example sentence: The children recited an abecedarian chant, beginning with
"A is for apple" and ending with "Z is for zebra."
Did you know?  The history of "abecedarian" is as simple as ABC- literally.
The term's Late Latin ancestor, "abecedarius" (which meant "of the
alphabet"), was created as a combination of the letters A, B, C, and D, plus
the suffix "-arius"; you can hear the echo of that origin in the
pronunciation of the English term (think "ABC-darian").  In its oldest
documented English uses in the early 1600s, "abecedarian" was a noun meaning
"one learning the rudiments of something"; it specifically referred to
someone who was learning the alphabet.  The adjective began appearing in
English texts around 1665.  *Indicates the sense illustrated in the example
sentence.
Can you tell I'm cleaning out my in box?
Madelina