[Loch-Ruadh] help for KAS at Lughnasad

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Fri Jul 19 21:56:48 PDT 2002

"We were wondering if anyone would be able to provide a round-bale of hay that we could use for a spear target. We have one possible source lined up but wanted to explore our options...

Let us do some checking on that one.  If I had a baler, I could probably come up with one off a few lots nearby!  Wouldn't it be nice if we could find one that would be closer to Canton.  Does anybody have any ideas?"

There is a feed store in Canton and a number in surrounding areas, and the grounds are bordered by cattle raisers- if somone called the fairgrounds, asked for the neighbors names/numbers and suggested a "we buy it/donate/split the cost, you move it, you get it" or some such arrangement, it might work.  Or if you offered to take a bale that was not feed worthy (they'll usually be happy to donate that kind).  However, does Canton want you to leave a round bale on their grounds? or is disposal available?  Moulded hay must be moved carefully and disposed of where horses and most hoof stock cannot get to it.  Is someone having equestrian events @ Lug. - they might have a line on a source and go in on it.  Also - if we do not move it - suggest Canton keep it and turn it into a free "great pumpkin" for Halloween.  Lots of people around there spray paint the orange and at a jackolantern face.

If someone could find/borrow a bale dolly, it could be picked up, delivered, moved with little fuss or muss by most any vehicle with a trailer hitch.

Just my two cents

Asa
(formerly from that area and who has moved more round bales, square bales and flakes of hay than she wants to remember)