[Loch-Ruadh] word of the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Jul 31 08:42:06 PDT 2002

Your daily vocabulary lesson: requisite * \REH-kwuh-zit\ * (adjective) :
essential, necessary
Example sentence: Randy failed one of the courses requisite for graduation,
so he had to retake it during the summer session.
Did you know? Do you need to know where "requisite" comes from?  Are you
willing to seek that information?  Look no farther than your burning need to
know.  "Requisite" derives from the past participle of the Latin verb
"requirere," which means "to need, to seek for, to inquire after."  Does
your inquiring mind also want to know how long "requisite" has been part of
English?  We can satisfy your curiosity there too: the earliest documented
use dates from the 15th century.

I find it interesting to learn how long some of these words have been in use
in English.  Many turn out to be newer than I would have thought.
Have a good day, all.
Madelina