[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History June 2

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sat Jun 1 22:05:38 PDT 2002

Born:
1491 Henry VIII King of England (1509-47)

Deaths:
0177: Death of the Martyrs of Lyons
0177: Death of St. Blandina
0657: Death of Pope Eugenius
0828: Death of St. Nicephorus of Constantinople
1562: Death of Thomas Nadasdy, father of Ferenc Nadasdy
1567: Shane O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, Irish rebel, assassinated
1581: Execution of James Douglas, the Earl of Morton

Other Events:
455 Gaiseric & the Vandals sack Rome
0553 The Second Council of Constantinople closed. Led by Eutychius,
Patriarch of Constantinople, the council condemned the Nestorian writings of
Theodore of Mopsuestia, Theodoret of Cyprus and Ibas of Edessa.
0597 Augustine, missionary to England and first archbishop of Canterbury,
baptized Saxon king Ethelbert. Afterward, the Christian faith spread rapidly
among the Angles and Saxons.
575 Benedict I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
657 St Eugene I ends his reign as Catholic Pope
1070: Sacking of Peterborough Abbey by the Danes and Hereward the Wake
1129: Marriage of Geoffrey Plantagenet to Queen Matilda of England
1320: War between France and Flanders ends
1420: Marriage of Henry V, King of England, to Catherine of France
1537: Pope Paul III declares that the Indians of North America have souls,
and bans their enslavement

---