[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History June 17

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 16 22:17:55 PDT 2002

Born:
1239 Edward I king of England (1272-1307)

Deaths:
0656: Caliph Uthman hacked to death by rebels
0900: Fulk, Archbishop of Rheims, killed by the Count of Flanders
0956: Death of Hugh, "the Great" of France

Other Events:
653 St Martin I ends his reign as Catholic Pope
676 Deusdedit III ends his reign as Catholic Pope
1094: Valencia taken by Don Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar "El Cid"
1128: Marriage of Geoffrey V (Plantagenet) of Anjou to Matilda, daughter of
King Henry of England and widow of Henry V, Holy Roman Emperor
1191: Philip II of France lauches an attack on Acre, which fails
1252: Pierre de Grandson granted a pension by Henry III, King of England
1391: William Huntingfield brought to trial for the robberies of Geoffrey
Chaucer in September of 1390, and found guilty
1397 Union of Kalmar established between Denmark, Sweden & Norway
1397: Coronation of Eric, King of Norway, Denmark and Sweden
1442: Coronation of Frederick IV as King of Germany
1579 Sir Francis Drake lands on the coast of Calif

---