[Loch-Ruadh] Normans vs Irish (was: VCR Alert)

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Fri Jun 28 07:45:27 PDT 2002

No, but those who stayed became Irish, so much so that an exasperated Elizabeth I exclaimed of the English nobility that settled in Ireland:  "They have become more Irish than the Irish!"  This has always been Ireland's strength:  no one goes to Ireland and changes it; Ireland changes them.

And the Irish Republic today is one of the crowning economic success stories of Europe.

Britain's economy, on the other hand, is in the toilet.

It may have taken us 700 years, but we won.  :)

Padraig

Sent via the WebMail system at irishbard.com