[Loch-Ruadh] Word of the Day, March 14

Cait O'Hara lady_cait at lycos.com
Fri Mar 15 09:36:40 PST 2002

Green-sickness

A disease incident to virgins.
-- Noah Webster’s compendious Dictionary of the English Language, 1806

For the green-sickness, or for a love-sick maid, take earthworms, open them, wash them clean, dry them in an oven and beat them to a powder.  Give thereof two spoonfuls in white wine in the morning.
-- Fairfax Household Book

Mew Moon
In the increase of the March-moon, the Highlanders cut withes of the wood-bind that clings about the oak.  These they twist into a wreath or circle, and carefully preserve it till the next March.  And when children are troubled with hectick fevers, or when anyone is consumptive, they make them pass through this circle thrice by putting it over their heads and conveying it down their bodies.  The like they do to cattle in some distempers.  This I have often seen.
-- Lachlan Shaw’s History of the Province of Moray, 1775

---
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons;
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
-- Acacia

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com