[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History March 7

STEVE K ROURKE SROURKE at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 6 23:12:16 PST 2002

Born:
1543 Johan Casimir count of Rhine (occupied Gent)
1574 John Wilbye composer

Deaths:
322 -BC- Aristotle dies
0161 Antoninus Pius [Titus Aurelius], emperor of Rome (138-61), dies at 74
1040 Harold I King of England (1035-40), dies
1111 Bohemund I of Tarente French ruler of Antioch, dies
1274 St Thomas Aquinas Italian thelogian dies at 48
1305 Gwijde van Dampierre count of Flanders/count of Namur, dies at 78

Other Events:
1138 Conrad II von Hohenstaufen re-elected German king
1530 King Henry VIII's divorce request is denied by the Pope Henry then
declares that he, not the Pope, is supreme head of England's church
1560 Christian fleet under Gian Andrea lands at Djerba, N Africa
1573 Turkey & Venice signs peace treaty