[Loch-Ruadh] FW: Word of the Day: littoral (literally, where tides ebb and flo w)

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed May 22 06:10:39 PDT 2002

Greetings.

What happened to Cait and the Word of the Day?  Or did I sleep through that
meeting (again!)

I get Dummies Daily Word of the Day now (since I've used up all the Word and
Excel tips.).  Thought I'd share this with you all.

As this is a (somewhat) family-oriented list, I can't tell you what my mind
did with this word... except to say that I thought a letter was missing.
LOL

Madelina
working on being a dirty old lady

DUMMIES DAILY: Word of the Day
http://www.dummiesdaily.com

TODAY'S eTIP(TM): littoral (literally, where tides ebb and flow)

littoral [LIT er uhl]

adjective

Designating or of the intertidal ecological zone along the shore.

     Situated between the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic
     Intracoastal Waterway, Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina,
     supports plenty of diverse littoral wildlife.

In Latin, litoris means "of the seashore or coast," and
that term may go way back to an Indo-European root, lei-, meaning
"to flow."

Make Webster's New World Dictionary, 4th Edition
[ http://catalog.dummies.com/product.asp?isbn=0028631218 ] your
primary reference source for extending your vocabulary horizons.