[Loch-Ruadh] Re: Fwd: PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY.

Carolyn cspennington at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 20:47:27 PDT 2002

 Sorry, this is another hoax!
This from http://www.vmyths.com:
jdbgmgr.exe virus

(Not to be confused with the Honor System virus...)
A hysterical urban legend -- nearly identical to the sulfnbk.exe mass hysteria of 2001. The JDBGMGR.EXE file is a legit Windows operating system file, just like sulfnbk.exe. Some rules of thumb: JDBGMGR.EXE is a legit Windows operating system file, just like SULFNBK.EXE. Well-meaning users fall prey to False Authority Syndrome when they use their eyeballs to "detect" viruses.
   if you merely find JDBGMGR.EXE on your computer, then it's probably not infected; but
   if you receive JDBGMGR.EXE as an email attachment, then it probably is infected.
This urban legend started in early April 2002 among Spanish-speaking computer users. The hysteria spilled over to the English-speaking community by mid-April 2002. Well-meaning users fall prey to False Authority Syndrome when they use their eyeballs to "detect" viruses.
Vmyths surmises a clueless, well-meaning user (not a hoaxster) adapted an old sulfnbk.exe alert by simply changing one instruction to look for JDBGMGR.EXE.
History suggests many clueless people will rewrite the alert in various forms & languages & dialects. Historically, users don't seem content to just forward the original warning if they think they "found" the virus on their own computer. Vmyths predicts this urban legend will someday turn into mass hysteria for the following reasons:
   The basic chain letter identifies an obscure file found on tens of millions of PCs -- and it offers simple instructions on how to find the file in question.
   The file uses a teddy bear as its associated icon, giving the impression an immature hacker drew it.
   Gullible users will assume they found a dangerous virus -- simply because they found a file on their PC. They will then fell victim to False Authority Syndrome when they rewrite the chain letter before sending it to their friends.
We also believe another set of reasons will contribute to the hysteria. Consider the following:
   Antivirus software regularly fails to detect newly discovered viruses. Examples include Melissa, ExploreZip, MiniZip, BubbleBoy, ILoveYou, NewLove, KillerResume, Kournikova, and NakedWife.
   When antivirus software fails, it fails spectacularly. Examples include all the end-of-the-world stories about Melissa, ILoveYou, and Kournikova.
   Customers buy antivirus software knowing it will fail spectacularly.
So you're staring at a file on your PC. It's JDBGMGR.EXE, just like your podiatrist's secretary warned. Your antivirus software says "no viruses found," but it said the same thing when Melissa & ILoveYou struck. What would you do in this situation? Vmyths believes gullible users will trust their eyeballs over their antivirus software.
How many more files can gullible users delete before they finally self-crash their own computers? Okay, let's say you deleted the file before you learned of this web page. How much self-inflicted damage did you bring on yourself? Vmyths posed this very question to Microsoft. Their answer: If a user has Visual J++ 1.x installed but JDBGMGR.EXE is missing, the net result would be that some Java programs wouldn't run. In all other cases, there would be no effect from deleting the file. Microsoft's response raises two philosophical questions:
   How many more files will gullible users delete before they finally self-crash their own computers?
   Will gullible people blame themselves for self-crashing their own computers?
We repeat -- the basic JDBGMGR.EXE alert shows the markers of an urban legend, not a "hoax." We've seen this type of mass hysteria before and we'll probably see it again.
Obtain expert virus advice directly from virus experts. Stay calm. Stay reasoned. And stay tuned to Vmyths.

--04/23/02

Related Links

   McAfee dispels jdbgmgr virus alert
   Symantec dispels jdbgmgr virus alert
   About.com dispels jdbgmgr virus alert

  Julie Self <julie_self at hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: "rpdbeach"
>To: "Williams, Brad" , "Watson, John \(Work\)"
>, "Watson, Dawn \(Work\)" ,
>"Watson Family" , "Walker, Nicole"
>, "Venable, Brianna"
, "Terri
,
>"Phan, Ba \(Home\)" , "Palmer, Wendy C"
>, "Palmer, Linda \(Work\)"
, "Palmer,
   ,
>"Campitelli, Becky \(Work\)" , "Bronson, Cam"
>, "Bodine Family" , "Beach,
>Cleo" , "Asbell, Jason" ,
>"Arp, Megan" , "Arp, Carol"
>
>Subject: PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY.
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:24:07 -0700
>
>I thought this was a joke.
>Just to be safe I followed the directions below.
>Guess what I found the virus on my computer.
>Please immediately follow the directions below and delete the virus.
>
>***WARNING: Infected Address Book!*** Hi everybody: I
>just received a message today from one of my friends in my Address Book.
>Their address book has been infected by a virus and it was passed on to my
>computer. My Address Book, in turn, has been infected. The
>virus (called > >jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
>Anti-virus systems.The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
>damaging the system. It's sent automatically by the messenger and by
>the Address Book, whether or not you sent emails to your contacts. I
>have checked, found it, and deleted it from my PC. Here's how to check
>for the virus and how to purge it: DO THIS: 1. Go to START,
>then the FIND or SEARCH option 2. In the FILES/FOLDER option,
>write the name jdbgmgr.exe.3.Be sure you search your C: drive
>4. Click "FIND NOW" 5. The virus may have a teddy bear or a
>generic icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe (also appears in caps:
>JDBGMGR.EXE). It may appear more than once. DO NOT OPEN IT! 6.
>RIGHT click and delete it. It will then go to the Recycle Bin. 7.
>Go to the RECYCLE BIN and delete it there as well. ***IF YOU FIND
>THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO
>THAT THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS. SORRY ABOUT
>THIS. ***

Carolyn

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity." -Christopher Morley