[Loch-Ruadh] Word for the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Nov 6 08:38:12 PST 2002

The Word of the Day for November 6 is:  pedantic * \pih-DAN-tik\ *
(adjective)  	*1:  narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned
2:  unimaginative, pedestrian

Example sentence:  "Dr. Sanford is a pedantic old codger, in my opinion,"
said Pam, "whereas I find Dr. Wilson to be a lively and interesting
lecturer."

Did you know?  In Shakespeare's day, a pedant was a male schoolteacher.  The
word's meaning was close to that of the Italian "pedante," from which the
English word was adapted.  Someone who was pedantic was simply a tutor or
teacher.  But a good percentage of instructional pedants of the day must
have been pompous and dull, because by 1600 both "pedant" and "pedantic" had
gained extended
senses referring to anyone who was obnoxiously and tediously devoted to his
or her own academic acumen.