[Loch-Ruadh] Event Questions

Kathy Varner dkv250 at msn.com
Sat Oct 5 12:40:48 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Caitrin ferch Rhys House Mac an Ghabbhan Loch Ruadh, 7 months new to the Dream

The questions are:

> Would having only one or two events on any given weekend mean you
would chose to go to those events or would you just stay at home that
weekend??
>Was there not something about distance in this question when originally
written? The number of choices available would not impact my decision unless
there happened to be a conflict with what I consider to be my core group
foremost of which is Loch Ruadh, followed by Tor, Elfsea, and Steppes. My Lord
and I are new to the dream and have as yet developed no hard and fast rules
for attendance as our first event was this year's Mud Faire. We have found our
Lughnasad and your Warlord to be our most enjoyable events to date, but can
hardly proclude others based on a single attendance. We have so far found
organization to be the key factor to a Good event rather than the contention
of the economy being a forerunner to poor gates.
> How do you choose which events to go to??

I suppose that the question is mainly answered by my initial comments. We have
asked for individual opinions concerning the local events and have yet to
travel more than 2 1/2 hrs to reach any given event. However we plan to attend
Bryn Gwylad (sp) next weekend and have condidered traveling to Stargate
events. I do not believe that we would travel father than 4-5 hrs on a regular
basis. We try to attend 1 event per month, but are often leaning toward 2 or
more.

On average, how far do you drive to go to an event??

Again, answered as above. I don't seem to be to successful at seperating the
issues.

The post/cross-post discussions on the current and impending Royal Edict has
proven enlightening and thought provoking. As a new member I am enthusiastic
about participating as fully as possible, but wish to apologize beforehand for
any comments or ideas which may offend or go against the grain.

My Lord and I are allied with a local canton and I sense the potential for
Barony level decisions being made to cut/combine events at the lower local
level to avoid cutting their own money making events. It would seem to me that
if agreements for combining Barony level events cannot be reached that it
would be prudent to audit the gate and attendance for major events over the
past five years to assess any trends in downward attendance. As I have no
background in these matters it would be difficult to comment personally, but
I'm sure there are many others who could factually speak to this issue. If
there are events consistently losing money compared with the level of effort
required to host them; it would seem prudent to overhaul or re-assess these
functions. I realize that the main focus of events is not to make a hugh
profit, but this is a consideration.

The combining of Elfsea's Collegium with Steppes' Artisan seems the most
logical combination to one on the outside looking in. This would provide the
prospect of lengthening the combined event to a weekend rather than a single
day and potentially increase attendance and viability for both parties.

Another option would be to pair each of these Barony level events with one of
their own Canton/Shire level events to the benefit of all, if control/autonomy
does not become an issue.

I was also intrigued by the possibilty of a Central Regional level A&S
combination. This sounds like a winning situation that would raise the level
of prominence of A&S across the Region while giving a focus to those members
of the populace at large who are non-combatant.  This would also serve the
purpose of raising awareness in our youth in this area if conducted in an
atmoshere seperate from the physical contests.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Caitrin ferch Rhys

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here[1]