[Loch-Ruadh] Help with thick wood!

Ciarlariello, Keith W keith.w.ciarlariello at lmco.com
Thu Oct 10 11:46:54 PDT 2002

Kylan,
There are three ways that I can think of to accomplish this.

1) Put the blank in a lathe and cut it down to 1.125" dia, along the whole
length.  Unless you are very accomplished with a lathe, this is a very
difficult operation to master.  Also, any horizontal cuts that are too deep
become stress concentration points.

2) Sand it down to the 1.125" dia.  This is more do-able, but VERY time
consuming.  I have seen this done before, and the owners wanted to NEVER do
it again.

3) Get a new blank that is the diameter that you want.
How much is your time worth versus the cost of a new blank?

I have attempted to do this in the past (for myself and others), and believe
me, option three is your best way to go.  Also there might be some concern
over removing the skin on the rattan.  I have personally not found this to
be a problem; the skin does not provide any additional strength in my
opinion.  Others may feel differently.

Good Luck,

Wilhelm Von Oldenburg