[Loch-Ruadh] Why did sailors wear earrings? (Alaric? Can you answer?)

giles nemeton blakrose at swbell.net
Wed Oct 2 11:19:29 PDT 2002

In antiquity ear-rings were worn for several reasons
for display(displaying your wealth), for purposes of
initiation, to show membership in a group,to
comemerate an important event,to indicate esteem
bestowed by peers or by the captain, or simply for
vanity

in the US Navy however, by tradition, you may wear an
ear-ring in your left ear if you have survived a
disaster at sea, altho it is seldom seen possibly due
to the specifications for the ring....ie. 'must be 1/4
inch in thickness and minimum circumference to enclose
the lobe of the ear.'.......ouch!