[Loch-Ruadh] Word of the day

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Fri Oct 18 08:31:20 PDT 2002

The Word of the Day for October 17 is:

infrangible * \in-FRAN-juh-bul\ * (adjective) 1:  not capable of being
broken or separated into parts  *2:  not to be infringed or violated

Example sentence:

"Family is sacred to me," wrote Page, "for I believe that few things in
life are more infrangible than the bonds of kinship."

Did you know?

"Infrangible" comes to us via Middle French from the Late Latin
"infrangibilis," and is ultimately derived from the prefix "in-" and the
Latin verb "frangere," meaning "to break."  (Believe it or not, our "break"
is ultimately derived from the same ancient word that gave rise to
"frangere.")  "Infrangible" first appeared in print in English in the 16th
century with the literal meaning "impossible to break"; it was later
extended metaphorically to things that cannot or should not be broken.