[Loch-Ruadh] Viking Encampment

Bil Osterheim Polydore at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 23 10:59:03 PDT 2003

At the Viking camp meeting this past Sunday, it was decided that, as
there is an excellent feast put on by Elfsea that many wished to attend,
we would not be making a feast for Saturday evening.  Instead, we would
be having a cold smorgasbord for lunch. Please do try to bring early
style period food for this.

   As information, most of the common grains and meats we are used to
are appropriate, with the exceptions of corn (maize) and turkey, which
they did not have.  Grain should be whole, not the bleached white stuff,
and breads were flatbread or soda – not yeast. Milk products were common.

It looks like we should have about 9 or 10 period tents in camp, plus a
couple of others. Try to come up with period things for camp, and keep
the mundanities down to a bare minimum during the day.  Hide your
coolers and camp chairs in or behind your tents… we will have stools and
benches to sit on. We can make some exceptions for reasons such as
health, but we need to keep those to a minimum. That is what a period
encampment is about.  There are a couple of links at the bottom of this
that give very good information about foods, clothing, etc. These people
are experts in their field. I will be happy to supply other information,
but there are also others in our group you may wish to ask, especially Asa.

In the evening, it is planned to have the bardic fire (assuming the fire
ban has been lifted by then) in the Viking Encampment, at which time I
expect people will be bringing over coolers and camp chairs and so forth.

Thank you!
Uddgar!!!

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/
The Viking Answer Lady Webpage