[Loch-Ruadh] Possibility of Loch-Ruadh.net

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Mon Feb 10 08:12:51 PST 2003

Padraig said :
>Timothy has even offered to pay the cost for securing the web address, but I am hesitant to ask him to do so, as he is already offering to host the address for us, and it strikes me as unfair to expect him to pay for the name as well.  If we decide to do this, I think that the members of Loch Ruadh should come up with the funds.  If I remember correctly, the initial cost is $70 for two years (someone correct me if this has changed).  If everyone who thinks this is a good idea is willing to contribute a couple of bucks, we can easily pay for it.

Just as point of clarification :

I have offered to arrange for this domain and to host it.  If the Canton is curious, it will cost me approximately 8.25 a year to register the domain, hosting will cost me 50 dollars a year.

In case there are techno-philes out there, I would not be hosting this service on a personal machine.  Like Elfsea.Net and Ansteorra.Net I would host this from a private hosting service that has twin OC3s (23 times a T1) for their internet connection.  The reason for this is that personal machines can be flaky, this would be rock-solid, UPS supported, backed up system.

The mail accounts would be unlimited, both in number and size of mailbox, and 500 MB of disk space would be made available for the website.

While I would be happy to accept donations for such an effort, I'm loath to have the Canton or its populace 'pay' for it.  Truly, I consider this simply a service, just as I do Elfsea and Ansteorra.  Loch-Ruadh.Net (or LochRuadh.net if you prefer) will not be the last group I offer this to, and in every case I expect to have to support the hosting.

Timothy