[Loch-Ruadh] Fw: Middle Eastern Drum & Dance Workshop in Northkeep, Ansteorra

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Thu Feb 27 00:54:48 PST 2003

Not quite sure How I got this one, but considering the number of people
interested in M.E. Dance and Drumming I thought I would pass this on.

Dohmnall

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:05 PM
Subject: Middle Eastern Drum & Dance Workshop in Northkeep, Ansteorra

Your Excellencies, My Lords and Ladies, Greetings!

I beg your assistance in spreading the word about a very special opportunity
in Northkeep (Tulsa, OK) on the weekend of March 28-30.  This is *not* an
SCA event, but will interest those of your populace who enjoy Middle Eastern
drumming and dancing, and perhaps a few who enjoy Renaissance-era European
court dance.  The mundane event announcement is below, but, in addition to
our two outstanding instructors (Armando "Uncle" Mafufo, from California,
and Karen Barbee, from San Antonio), and all the other fun things we have
planned for the weekend, we're expecting an honored guest from Meridies.
Seigneur Yves de Fortanier is also known in the Society as Kamuran,
percussionist and singer for the Atlanta SCA band, Peach Curry -
www.peachcurry.com .  "Dancing with the Infidels", Peach Curry's first CD,
has "a baker's dozen of professionally-produced tracks for Renaissance-era
European Court Dance and Middle Eastern Group Dance".  There's also a book
which has "sheet music, dance steps, historical resource notes on both the
music and dances ... and cartoons! (Some of the cartoons are even there to
help with learning the dances...)".

Having sponsored Master Daveed's drum workshop in Northkeep last fall, I'm
thrilled to be a co-sponsor for Uncle Mafufo, of Sirocco.  Please share this
information as widely as possible.  Anyone who isn't interested in the
workshops is still welcome at our large bazaar, the evening show, and the
hafla that follows.  SCA folk will receive a special, two-week extension of
the pre-registration deadline for the workshop, a savings of $15.

Thank you for listening and helping.

In service to the dream,
Ly. Zenobia Mira Vallis

mka
Shirley Roper, Associate Director
Ethnic Music & Dance Alliance, Inc.
emda at emda.net  http://www.emda.net

Announcing:
Middle Eastern Drum and Dance Workshops, Bazaar, Show, and Party

March 28-30 - SHIMMY OUTSIDE THE BOX & DRUMFEST in TULSA, OK (Airport
Radisson).  Workshops, show, and post-show party.  Drum rhythm workshops for
dancers and drummers with Armando (Uncle) Mafufo (Sirocco);
beginner/intermediate and 'master class' dance techniques with Karen Barbee
Adkisson.  No charge to perform or see the show if you attend one of the
workshops.  Sponsored by Pairodocs Productions and the Ethnic Music & Dance
Alliance, Inc.  http://home.earthlink.net/~bdancer100/pairodocs.html
Contact Dr. Price at pairodocs at yahoo.com or call 918-445-3106 for more
information.

Uncle Mafufo's website and discography:  http://www.unclemafufo.com
Karen Barbee's website and video list:   http://www.karavansa.com/karavansa/

DANCERS:
Bring your zills or drum for the morning session with Armando, which will
help you get into closer touch with your music.  Armando has been working
with dancers for 30 years, and you'll be amazed at how much these two short
morning hours (which are included in your dance registration fee) can help
you improve your choreography.  After lunch, Karen will conduct two
90-minute sessions, with a break between them.  Karen is tailoring a unique
"outside the box" techniques workshop and performance for us. Ably assisted
at the workshop by one of her principal dancers, the talented Cara Bowen,
instruction will encompass the full range of student skill and experience
levels. This is not dance-until-you-drop, but rather expect to learn Karen's
precise locks, pops, hip drops, layering, as well as how to sharpen your
sense of timing and tighten your connection with the music.

DRUMMERS:
Armando is simply wonderful at getting every skill-level involved in the
class.  The two-hour morning session on Saturday is geared for dancers and
beginning drummers, and the afternoon session (four hours, with hourly rest
breaks) will rock!  Open forms, filled variations, and related topics will
be taught in a format providing a rich experience concurrently for all
levels of drum students.  You will be amazed at the ease with which Armando
gets everyone drumming and making incredible music together!  No matter what
your skill level is, expect to see it ratchet up at this workshop.

Armando and Karen will be available on a very limited basis for private
lessons while they're here.  Let me know if you need contact info to set up
a lesson.

For everyone who pre-registers, there will also be a party Friday night.  A
chance to meet and chat with Armando and Karen over dinner or a cup of chai,
followed by some drumming and dancing by our stars and others.

After the show Saturday night, which will feature performances by Armando
and Karen, we'll push back the chairs for a big hafla, and all you drummers
will have an opportunity to drum with Armando for a room full of dancers!

Okay, lots of drumming, a couple of parties, a fabulous show, plenty of
dancers, a great location with special workshop rates (Airport Radisson) . .
. what more could you want?  That's easy - shopping, shopping, and more
shopping!  The workshop will feature a bountiful public Bazaar with lots to
please every dancer and drummer, as well as anyone you bring with you!  The
Bazaar is free to attend and will be open all day and evening on Saturday,
and some vendors will be set up Sunday morning.  Check out the vendor list:

Ancient Mysts - OK - scented oils, sarong shirts, daggers, swords, carved
boxes
Desert Wind Belly Dance Boutique - OK - local studio
Fatima's Bazaar - CA - mostly cabaret
Jammin' Drums - AR - djembes and other percussion
Lady Littlefox Designs - OK - airbrushed body art and henna
Magical Fashions - GA - ethnic clothing (saris, etc.) and jewelry, tribal
Tatika's Treasures - TX - costumes and accessories, dumbeks, drum cases,
camel bottles, sword cases
Tosawi Marshall - TX - MED T-shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, ethnic
knickknacks
Turquoise International - CA - consignment veils, zils, hipscarves, bedlah
(I'll also have consignment CDs from Solace, Peach Curry, Daveed Korup, and
Nath Keo, patterns from B. D. Patterns, and The Belly Dance Book, edited by
Tazz Richards)

Karen Barbee - TX - will have her wonderful Middle Eastern dance videos
Uncle Mafufo - CA - his Sirocco CDs, and dumbek teaching videos

PLUS:  There will also be a masseuse and an osteopathic doctor (free
musculo-skeletal evaluations and recommendations), as well as a
photographer.  And great DOOR PRIZES!  Like a lovely gift basket filled with
Moroccan incense, from Moroccan Treasures, a mystery percussion toy from
Jammin' Drums, and lots more!

After a number of requests, we've decided to extend the advance-payment
deadline to 2/28 (Note: 3/14 for SCA folk).  If your registration is
postmarked by then, the workshop fee is $60.  After that, it's $75.  (Master
classes are $30 prepaid, $35 at the door.)  Either way, there will be no
charge to registrants to perform or attend the Saturday show or hafla.  (For
guests, show tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door; no charge for
children 12 and under.)  Neither is there a charge to attend the party on
Friday, but prepaid registration is required.
To download a registration form, go to
http://home.earthlink.net/~bdancer100/regform.rtf
or contact Dr. Price to have one mailed to you:
pairodocs at earthlink.net , 918-445-3106

Tulsa Airport Radisson Hotel: 918-835-9911 or 800-333-3333.  Ask for the
special workshop rate.

See you next month!

Ly. Zenobia Mira Vallis

Shirley Roper, Associate Director