[Loch-Ruadh] It's not what your Baron/ess can do for you....

PBW PBW_RN at ev1.net
Fri Jul 11 20:58:37 PDT 2003

All I can think of to say is...  wow.

Magdalea

-----Original Message-----
From: loch-ruadh-bounces at ansteorra.org
[mailto:loch-ruadh-bounces at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Tim Cantley
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 7:12 PM
To: loch-ruadh at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Loch-Ruadh] It's not what your Baron/ess can do for you....

Folks,

I've tried to follow all that is happening with the future of Elfsea,
our
Barony.  I'm aware of who is desiring to become the new Baron/Baroness
of
Elfsea and have known most if not all of them for quite a few years.  I
may
not be aware of all the "past issues" in the Barony but I know it's a
good
Barony and have a lot of good people in it, including those of her
cantons
and college.  I found a home in Loch Ruadh 8 years ago this coming
Elfsea
Defender and have had a great time "playing the game" as I've heard it
referred to and have made many good friends because of it.
I've seen the questions posed to the candidates for Baron/Baroness of
Elfsea
and although many of them are good questions and I've seen some very
good
important point.  The new Baron and Baroness will need our help and
support
greatly.  Two people cannot run a Barony, for that matter a Kingdom.
Without the support of the populace, these people WILL fail, regardless
of
whether they are coming out of a Court Barony or if this was a standard
transition.
This will become even more evident as we as Loch Ruadh make our plans to

grow in our endeavors.  The officers can't do it all themselves.  We
need to
offer up what time or resources we feel we can give to support our
Barony or
canton.  This can be in the form of serving as an officer, hosting a
workshop, giving of our time at an event, giving words of encouragement
or
whatever you feel you can offer.  I for one, appeared to be much more
active
a few years back but due to a change in residence and job, I've found my

mundane life demands much more of me than it used to.  Therefore, I've
had
to reassess what I have left to give.  Yes, it's been almost two years
since
I've made an Elfsea Moot, but when I find myself in town and have the
right
weeknight available, I find that one or two 130-140 mile round trips to
Loch
Ruadh Populace meeting or Officer's meeting is about all I can handle.
So
what else can I do?  Well I figure hosting a workshop is kinda out of
the
question because I imagine you folks aren't prepared for that same
roundtrip.  Being a previous Archery Marshal of the canton, I felt it
was
time for me to throw in my support again in that arena and that is why I

asked to become Tegwyrd's deputy.  Is there more I can do?  Obviously!!!

Having a very fluid and hectic mundane work schedule makes it difficult
for
me to commit to much more than this on a regular basis so what I've seen
is
necessary for me to do is evaluate what needs to be done to support our
canton and Barony and as the occasion arises offer my help as it is
available.
I know we are all looking for great things to happen within Elfsea and
there
are some very good people out there wanting to take the leadership of
the
Barony and take it there but they can't do it without our help.  If
anyone
cares to forward this on to any of the other lists, please feel free as
I am
only subscribed to Loch Ruadh's list.  After getting back from a week
out of
town, going through 50-75 emails from Loch Ruadh is about all I can
handle
right now.
So let me close , at the expense of not wanting to sound too corny, by
paraphrasing a speech of JFK's, ask not what your Barony can do for you
but
what you can do for your Barony.

Laird Sean of Argyll

---