[Loch-Ruadh] SOS

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at mail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:29:19 PST 2003

Pat,

Sorry I didn't see your email before Populace Meeting.  I actually had a very good source of Irish names with me, "Irish Names and Surnames" by Patrick Woulfe, and you could have looked through it.

To get an idea of some Irish names until I can get you the book, try taking a look at some of these websites:

Irish Lane / Irish Names - http://www.hylit.com/info/Names/

Traditional Irish Names - http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bj333/HomePage.boys.html#GIRLS

Names of Ireland - http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a8700035/irnames.html

Behind the Name: Irish Names - http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/iri.html

While none of these are completely reliable as sources for a period name, they should give you some ideas which can be cross-referenced to Woulfe and other sources.

For some good SCA-related articles and links, try the Medieval Names Archive: Irish and Manx Names - http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/irish.shtml

Let me know if you find a name or names that interest you, and I'll be glad to check on whether or not it (or they) is documentable to the SCA period.

In Service,
Padráig Ruad Ó Maolagáin
Herald for the Canton of Loch Ruadh

Patricia Stegall wrote