[Loch-Ruadh] shield question

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:20:36 PST 2003

Madu...

Similar weapons are called adaga or adarga.  They are
a long steel rod spiked on both ends with a small
shield in the center.  I believe they are of Japanese
origin, but I'm not certain on that.  The difference
is that they are made primarily of steel, not wood or
other organic substances like horn.

A madu is actually a cultural weapon of African tribes
and was originally a set of two deer antlers bound
together.  I don't know specifics about how it became
the weapon we know it as -- a wooden shaft with a
spike on either end and a shield in the middle -- nor
do I know when that change was made.

-Bjorn