[Loch-Ruadh] Storm Precautions at Events

mama mac mama_mac at airmail.net
Sun Aug 1 04:14:40 PDT 2004

Padraig has promised us good weather for our event so this is probably not needed.  But...the weather this summer has been crazy, so I am posting my bad weather list again!!

Mama Mac's Storm Precaution List:

House Mac an Ghabhann usually camps at the Canton site in an area that we know floods.  We have been in that area with 16" of water running through it. Why do we continue to camp there? Because WE like the location. So we help and support each other before and while it is storming. Some sing, drink, panic (ME!!) and or sleep. When the storm is over we all check in. We evaluate who needs help, pitch in and get done what needs to be done on a priority basis. We take care of each other and try to keep everyone in good spirits.

Everyone I camp with knows I really PANIC in storms, so maybe I'm a little paranoid and over prepare!!

But I try to be prepared for storms at all sites by:

1. Having a bad weather tub packed with rain poncho, boots, a set of dry clothes packed in zip lock bags, extra socks, a couple of bottles of water, snacks, a small first aid kit, small container of prescription medications, flash light and extra batteries

2. Making sure we have family radios and we are on the same channel
3. Storm ropes on tents and pavilions
4. Waterproofing everything
5. Packing in waterproof tubs
6. Another set of dry clothes left someplace where they WILL NOT get wet, usually in the transportation I arrived in
7. Plenty of plastic trash bags so I can pack things in a hurry
8. Knowing where I can go for shelter if necessary
9. Having a place for everyone to check in after an emergency

I then keep a VERY close eye on the weather by:
1. Watching the sky
2. Having a storm alert weather radio (set on alert only) on at all times
3. Someone in Fort Worth is instructed to call me on my cell phone if bad weather MIGHT be approaching

If bad weather is on it's way I prepare by:
1. Alerting everyone (this is where the family radios come in handy) and taking a Xanax!!
2. Putting everything that is inside my tent that could get wet in plastic tubs or plastic trash bags
3. Move EVERYTHING in my tent to the center of the tent (WET walls wick!!!)
4. Tighten all guy ropes and check the tent stakes

5. Zip up all windows and doors, unplug electric cords and remove them from the door so you can zip it completely up
6. In case I need to evacuate quickly, I place everything I need to carry with me in a hand carry bag and or trash bag:

Identification, medication, toiletries, cell phone, weather radio, bottles of water, snacks, a complete set of dry clothes including shoes, flash light, warm bedding and anything else I might need to keep me comfortable (me...cigarettes!!!)
7. Move everything I can that is outside (that would be a pain to transport wet) into waterproof tubs or trash bags to inside the tent, to a vehicle or under a tarp
8. Stuff that cannot be moved inside is taken down if possible, secured, tarped and tied down

Mama Mac

Loch Ruadh REALLY  ROCKS!!!