[Loch-Ruadh] names

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Wed Aug 18 23:37:45 PDT 2004

David,

As Crandall has already said http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/ is a really good place to start. As far as web pages to avoid using http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/badpages.shtml will give you a list of where to avoid and why. http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/Annotatedname.html will give you a listing of both good and bad source books to go through.

The site you found the names on is one of the sites to avoid because she chose not to provide any documentation for the names. While parts of it do at least make a good starting point I'm afraid the Frisian section is probably inaccurate and out of period on a number of the names. The poem that many of the names were culled from was published in a newspaper that to the best I can find, did not start up until sometime in the 1800's.

If you are able to make the SCA 101 class we can talk after it's over about names.

Domhnall