[Loch-Ruadh] What Jesus Would DO!

Baron Rozell r.baron at comcast.net
Sun Feb 29 10:20:38 PST 2004

	To weigh in to this discussion, I've been unemployed for 27 months.
After actively searching for work that whole time, I've only come up with a
handful of interviews and a little bit of contract work. So, I think I've
got a decent grasp on both sides of this issue.

	To begin, I feel that you've missed an important fact. Ceatta wasn't
asking for indefinite unemployment benefits. He was just talking about
extended benefits. Which is something that was already in place before Bush
even took office. What bush did was make extended benefits longer for those
people who qualify. From what I understand, for Ceatta, it was like the
government had told him they set money aside for him in the case it took
longer for him to find a job and then the Govt. turning around and telling
him, no he can't have it.

	Secondly, it's not really *your* wealth. Its everybody's wealth that
was given to the government and it's their decision what to do with it. It's
our job as Americans to make sure the people that make up our government are
people who have our best interests in mind. But back to the priginal point,
Money that is used to pay Unemployment Benefits comes from taxes paid by the
employer. By law, no money is deducted from an employee's wages to pay for
the unemployment insurance tax.

	Thirdly, you said "If you seem to be 'over-qualified' for the job
prospects you've for which you applied, apply for others!". Granted, I don't
know what Ceatta profession is either, but in my career field (web
development), there just *isn't* any other jobs to apply to. Not only that,
but there hasn't been any other jobs to speak of and job market projections
say that there won't be any relief in the future.  More and more companies
are either "offshoring" or making their current employees work harder and
longer. As well as, with all the new technology coming out, workplaces are
becoming more and more efficient and, in turn, reducing the number of
employees needed to run them.

With all that said, I agree with you in the fact that the government
shouldn't give indefinite unemployment benefits. There's no incentive to
find work that way. Although, I do believe that they should help out when
they say they're going to help out.

-Conor / Bear
"The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without
evidence."