[Loch-Ruadh] Bardic

mama mac mama_mac at airmail.net
Sun Mar 28 13:07:17 PST 2004

You were missed, our next Bardic will be at Guardian of the Tor.

Well I was born and raised in northern Indiana and I can tell you the
bereaving family was fed for at least a week!!
I remember when my Dad passed away we had a houseful of out of town
relatives (30 some people)all staying at our house. Blankets and pillows
were everywhere, the bathroom had piles of wet towels on the floor and not a
clean coffee cup left in the kitchen. The whole bunch of us would head out
for the funeral home and come back to find blankets and pillows in neat
piles, clean dry towels in the linen closet and the smell of freshly brewed
coffee and good hot food ready and waiting for us. The ladies would quickly
and quietly go to work, making sure everyone was fed and when they were
finished cleaning up they would take their leave. This was before the days
of dishwashers and those ladies didn't serve us on paper plates!! We spent 2
days waiting for various relatives to arrive, 4 days at the funeral home for
viewing and burial services and another 3 days before the last of the
relatives were gone and those ladies never missed a beat. Memories of almost
40 years ago!!

Dana...
LOCH RUADH REALLY ROCKS!!!!

Madelina wrote:
I was hoping to make bardic as well.  I am going into withdrawal pains and
NEED a bardic.  But duty calls.  My college roommate lost her mother, who
had been in the hospital since October.  So I rallied the troops (my best
friend and my college suitemates), and we stayed up until almost 2 a.m. this
morning cooking (and drinking margaritas afterward - had to have a wake of
sorts, even if Linda was a Baptist.)  We did sing a little, as Linda was the
niece of Earnest Tubb.  We cooked so much food, you'd think we were going to
war.  I don't want to see mashed potatoes anytime soon.

On a side note, does anyone know if it's just a southern tradition, or does
everybody take food to the bereaved?  If everyone does it, how long has this
been a tradition?

Miss you all,
Madelina -- getting very tired of funerals here lately