[Loch-Ruadh] Bardic

Chris Harper bice.pietro at charter.net
Sun Mar 28 14:30:10 PST 2004

At 01:31 PM 3/28/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>On a side note, does anyone know if it's just a southern tradition, or
>does everybody take food to the bereaved?  If everyone does it, how long
>has this been a tradition?
>
>Miss you all,
>Madelina -- getting very tired of funerals here lately

I don't know about the rest of the world, but my Mother and I can account
for this going on for the last 100+ years.  Back in the "dark ages" as my
kids say, like the 1800's, people were so scattered out on farms and
ranches, that members of your church would bring food to the family because
when people came to a funeral it took a lot of travel time and they stayed
over night.  As the population condensed, it became your neighbors that
would bring food to the family.  The way it seems to be going now (I guess
because neighbors are not as close anymore), they are going back to the
churches, clubs or the people you work with, to do the food thing.  In fact
the last 3 funerals I have been to, it was a church that brought food to
the funeral home and served it there.  It was more of a reception than a
family thing.

As they said in a movie I watched a while back, "after a funeral, everyone
gets together and eats a bunch, drinks a bunch and then everyone goes home
and has sex".  Works for me!

Bicé