[Loch-Ruadh] Devices

Crandall crandall at elfsea.net
Mon Sep 6 06:21:52 PDT 2004

Red, No, Green, No, Red

Ok, I especially like the wyrm.

You have a good start here. Now lets look at where you may have to go.

Dividing a field with two tinctures is an accepted practice. However it is usually confined to simple divisions. This seems a bit more than that. You will also have problems with contrast, especially if you go with the green.
And one of the basic tests of period style is ease of blazoning the thing.
Yours looks like:
Per saltire sable and gules a saltire divided per saltire conterchanged between in pale a wyrm (knotted is a strange fashion) and a candlestick.
I believe that those who comment will think the contrast, the blazon, and the knotwork to be too many wierdnesses (a real heraldic commentor term) for acceptance.
I suggest finding a period knot or position for the wyrm.
Maybe removing the saltire and keeping the field division?
Or keeping the saltire and having the field one tincture and the saltire the other?
Any help that I can give, please do not hesitate to ask.

Crandall