[Loch-Ruadh] The rest of the story...

Connie Nurmi cnurmi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 4 21:14:33 PDT 2005

Dana thats the best Oh S--T and there I was story yet
Glad you came through ok.
Hope your recovering well
What we need is Coffee I' vs and one of those phony cig. like Cereal had.
Really what you need to do is send them on a camping trip without morning coffee and no way to town.
Constance

Dana <sca004 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Now that I have had a real good nights sleep I would like to thank my family and friends. Only a very small circle of people knew I was going to the emergency room Wednesday night. And I "thought" I was only going to be there a couple of hours!!!

As most of you know Pookie, my daughter-in-law, works at the hospital as an emergency room nurse. She paved the way for me by getting a room ready and did not take me down the "stinky" hall. She had the best people lined up to check me out. Got my blood taken and then went and got me some food since I hadn't eaten since   o'clock that afternoon. I was starving....especially since I had just left a meeting where everyone was eating grilled hot dogs, beans and potato chips!!

The emergency room was busy Wednesday night but Pookie made sure I was well taken care of EKG's, X rays and blood tests were all done in a timely manner. And all the people that took care of me, the doctor, technicians and nurses were all very good to me. The only time I cried was when they told me I wasn't going home that night because I needed more tests and something with the EKG

I was moved upstairs to the 5th floor to a private room (again thanks to Pookie) at 4 AM. Pookie even checked out the nurses before I was moved. They slapped on a heart monitor, drew blood and then let me sleep from 4:30 to 6 AM. Then they started taking blood every 2 hours and sometimes as often as 3 times in 30 minutes!! Pookie came up to see me at 7 when she got off.  Most of Thursday is a blur because I was so tired and just wanted to sleep. A doctor came in to see me in the afternoon and talked about a stress test I would need before getting to go home. I agreed if it could be done first thing in the morning.

Friday morning I am wheeled out of my room at 6:45 (missed seeing Pookie) for a test that should take about 2 hours. Now I haven't had anything to eat or drink since about 8:30 PM Thursday. Remember this is morning, NO COFFEE, haven't had a cigarette since Wednesday evening, not a good thing as far as I'm concerned. They do what they have to do...inject me with something, take some pictures and then we wait for the doctor to show up and we wait and wait and wait, 2 hours later this doctor shows up and says I was dumped in her lap and spends the entire "6 whole minutes" that she had to be there for this test on the phone with her office. Now Dana STILL HASN'T HAD COFFEE!! The people in the Nuclear Med Lab were fantastic. I can have coffee and breakfast now and they get it for me ASAP. I have to eat and drink and wait 30 minutes so they can take more pictures. Guess what??? The damn machine mal functions not once or twice but three times before they get the pictures they need. So I
 don't get back to my room until after 1 o'clock. Around 2 this doctor shows up again complaining about me being dumped in her lap and TELLS me her associate WILL be doing an angiogram on me later that evening!! And we will go from there as to a course of treatment that could range from meds to open heart surgery!! Scares the living S#&T out of me and I already do not like this doctor. I tell Aingeal, who was sitting there, I'm checking out and going home!! That's my right and I'm exercising it!! She tells me she will be back, just hang tight, yea like what else can I do. I guess she calls Pookie and gets her out of bed and tells her what has happened up to this point. The next thing I hear is Pookie calling me and telling me to go out to the nurses station and tell them "You are not seeing or talking to ANYONE other than a doctor named Mundalaru." Ok, done (in tears) so now the nurse knows I am REALLY upset. Aingeal gets back and says Pookie pulled some big strings and has another
 doctor coming to see me. The same doctor that Caerell is going to see. Then a really nice man comes in to talk to us because the nurse calls downstairs and tells someone I am really upset. Long story short this doctor works with Dr. Mundalaru. He tells me all about this procedure and listens to my medical history and gets me some meds to calm my nerves and before I know it they are wheeling me down the hall. The rest of my story is a real big blur.  I know I asked Tom to go home and take care of the animals, I think Aingeal is still there. When I wake up in my room I remember Rob and Pookie being there and asking me how I felt. Well, I was feeling NOOOO PAIN.

So the moral of my story is... "If you're gonna get sick and need to go to the hospital be sure you have a family member that works there." I was NOT just another patient, I received very special care because Pookie works there (and I think they are afraid of her!!)

I would like to also thank everyone that came to visit me (that very small circle that knew where I was!!), called me, prayed for me (and God only knows how much I needed those) and sent well wishes on the list. Although I still have very little energy I am feeling much, much better.

Dana

I am what I am,
   Be true to yourself 1st.
And all will see last