[Loch-Ruadh] Question for the Heralds (Past and Present)

Sluggy! sluggy9912 at swbell.net
Mon Aug 8 15:31:04 PDT 2005

--- "Steve K. Rourke" <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:

> It's still two CDs  to not conflict, but for some
> reason the removal of
> crowns or itemsa being held in the claws do not
> count as a CD nor does the
> number of heads on the bird.

After first disclaiming that I have never served as
any sort of official herald, it is my understanding
that the intent for determining such conflicts is
whether two devices can be distinguished from a
distance, say across the battlefield. There are some
legalese-sounding terms, 'substantial difference' and
'significant difference' in play here. A substantial
difference would be like the difference between a bird
and a lion as charges. A significant difference would
be like the difference between a pine tree and an oak
tree, though both are trees. I think that the problem
is that while there is a significant difference
between a sparrow and an eagle, it does not constitute
a substantial difference. In more practical terms, a
two headed raven could look just like a crested
woodpecker from that distance, so heraldically
speaking, a bird is a bird is a bird.

How about differnt poses? Does not a 'lion rampant'
and a 'lion displayed' represent a CD? So, would

A related field coloration question. Wouldn't changing
the field from, for example 'gules', to 'per fess
sable and gules' or 'checky sable and gules' still
count as only one CD, the changing of the field color?

The heraldic powers seem to like simple heraldry, but
unfortunately, there is little of it left to choose
from after 40 years of registrations.

Sluggy!

---

tibi habere mamma. Ego malle mamma ab femina.