[Loch-Ruadh] devices

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Aug 22 12:21:38 PDT 2005

Two main considerations:
1)  A device must follow the rules of heraldry.
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/ will give you some basic ideas about
how a device is constructed.  While incomplete, this website has a lot of
good information on layout and design.  Remember, in general, that simpler
is better than complex.
2)  A device cannot conflict with an already established device, including
real-world armory.  Gruffydd, the current Shire Herald, or I can help
check on any conflicts.  (On a related note, I recall one good gentle who
could not have the device she first came up with because it conflicted
with the arms associated with Satan.  She and I both got a real laugh over
that.)

Do your boys have a general idea of what they want on their devices
(pictures, backgrounds, divisions)?  Again, Gruffydd or I can probably
supply some guidance, suggestions, and perhaps even heraldicly appropriate
clipart, and do conflcit checks on whatever they come up with.

If they want to register the devices (so that no one else can come up with
the same idea later and use it), they will also need to register names.
Again, your friendly neighborhood heralds can assist with that.

I've probably given you more questions to ask rather than specifically
answer the ones you've already asked, but at least you'll be able to ask
in greater detail.  :-)  Hope this helps.

In Service,
Padraig
former Herald