[Loch-Ruadh] alchemy?

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 13:38:39 PDT 2005

Hey hey, Fullmetal Alchemist.  Good show.

Their version of alchemy differs somewhat from the
medieval definition.  The end result is the same, but
the means of getting to that end result are different.

The basic concept behind alchemy is to take a set of
components and turn them into something else, a
process the anime dubs "transmutation".

  In the most well known stories about historical
alchemists, they were trying to turn lead into gold.
In real history, they attempted this by scientific
methods involving principles of what we now know as
the science of chemistry.  In the anime Fullmetal
Alchemist, the "Alchemists" are much more akin to
magicians.  They do not use actual scientific means,
but are able to transform materials via supernatural
powers (that are actually explained in depth --and the
explanation is quite believable to those with wide
open minds-- towards the end of the series, but I
won't spoil it by saying why here.)

So yeah, encourage your son to do some research on
alchemy.  Just make sure he knows that the silver
pocket watch he carries around is a device for keeping
time, not for amplifying his transmutation abilities.

:-)

-Bjorn