[Loch-Ruadh] Results of gate organizational meeting

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Sat Aug 27 11:24:32 PDT 2005

Get in touch with me and tell me what the signs need to look like and I might be able to volunteer.

Terrence

Alric and Fiona <sidhe01 at swbell.net> wrote:

Gate organizational meeting

Kaz laid out his plans and talked about what he thought it would take to build the gate.  Kaz has asked for help from the seamstresses of the group to cut up the roll of burlap to the proper size of 18 x 24 inches, the roll is 60 inches wide by 300 yards long.   He will also post to the list, a list of materials needed for the gate.  This is to allow those of us who can to pick up from construction sites things like discarded 3 foot + pieces of  2 X 4s, old pallets etc.

The first official gate trip is scheduled for the weekend of the 29th of Oct.  Actual travel day for those able to go will be Friday the 28th which will allow a full day on the 29th to work on the land.  I will go out on the 27th (work schedule permitting) and set up the camp for the folks coming on Friday and to get a start on some of the onsite work.  Tegwared has volunteered to assist in the early setup. When the rest of the party comes out on the 28th, camp will be set up which will allow a full day and maybe part of another (Sunday the 30th) to work on the gate itself.   We will purchase sand and concrete mix in Hattiesburg instead of hauling it out to the site.

The second trip is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of Jan 14, ’06.  to finish the gate and do more work on the land.

Kaz will call, post to the list or otherwise announce workdays for constructing and pre- assembling the gate framework here.  The first scheduled work day is Sat. 10 Sept.  The first project will be to build one of the corner posts to gain experience with the construction methods for the main gate.  Kaz will post other dates on the list to alert the Shire as to when we need to hammer nails and cut wood.

OPEN ITEM:  We need someone to make the Loch Ruadh signs for the gate. One will be permanently attached to the gate.  The other will be a section we can remove and reinstall.  The sign with the Loch Ruadh name has to be permanent.  Due to current project commitments I cannot make the sign.

The plan is to get the gate up and weather tight by the end of Gulf War.  Gate embellishments such as gate torches, climbing vines, paved paths/walkways, etc will be held until after the gate is built and in place.

John Grey Wolf and Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood have both offered the use of 16 foot trailers to transport the pre-assembled gate sections.  A number of people ahve offered to tow the trailer(s) out to the land.

The more prosaic items discussed.

Work to be done on the land

Mowing,

Trimming trees and bushes,

Killing the ground vines that attack people walking by

Filling in holes (and this time tamping them down)

Lady Aingael will be researching some things botanical for the land  - specifically the best type of grass seed, what type of vines to plant on the gate, and things of that nature.

That's all.  Stay tuned for further developments.

Alric