[Loch-Ruadh] Kragenworth Keep Bardic

Julie Self julie_self at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:09:42 PST 2005

Greetings and Salutations All!

On Friday, Jan. 6th, 2006, we will be hosting the passing of the cloak.  The
following is the message I received from Kathryn of Scarborough, regarding
the subject and criteria of the competition:

      Dear Gwen,
      Your faithful Kragenworth Bard here, with my proposed
      theme for the passing of the cloak in January...
      ***
      Subject:  Wordfame!

      Historically, it was often the duty (and privilege) of
      the bard to immortalize the deeds of those around him
      or her, in song, story and verse.  To employ an honest
      pen and a truthful tongue, to praise and chastise, to
      celebrate and criticize, to goad or glorify as the
      situation merited.
      Bring us your deeds of heroes, famous or unsung.
      Bring us your tales of fools made kings, and of
      monarchs laid low by folly.  Sing us the praises of
      the fairest lady, the bravest warrior, or the hardiest
      drinker the known world has ever seen.  Tell
      embarassing stories about your friends! (but use your
      judgment wisely, mindful that wordfame works both
      ways).
      Each participant will perform two pieces of his or her
      choice in keeping with the theme of the competition.
      Remember: the art of praise and the art of satire are
      of equal importance to the bardic profession, and the
      most admired bards were those who showed skill and
      competence in both.
                      ***
Our bardic is held at 6801 Beaty St., Ft.Worth, at 7:30 PM (SCA time).
Bring your bardic stuff, a chair, your beverage of choice and food to share.
  We are looking forward to seeing you.  It is the start of what looks to be
a wonderful New year!

Directions:  Take your best route to West Loop 820.  Exit Craig St. (first
exit South of Meadowbrook).  Go East on Craig St. to Hunter (5 or 6 blocks).
  Go North (left) on Hunter to the end of the block, a "T" intersection.  We
are on the NE side of the "T".  There will be a banner and a lantern on the
porch and a large white truck in the gravel driveway.  If you get lost, call
817-492-9246 and we will talk you to the house!

See you then!

Gwenllian
Loch Ruadh Rocks!!