[Loch-Ruadh] Travel

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Fri Dec 9 14:45:05 PST 2005

Sean, Sluggy informed me of your predicament a while before your email
came across, and my muse hit me upside the head with a filk.  I looked up
the East Kingdom and found that in the SCA, Providence is the Barony of
the Bridge.  In fact, the whole state of Rhode Island is the Barony of the
Bridge.

Remember, if you will, that this filk is not to denigrate the great Barony
of the Bridge, but rather to help Sean bemoan being stuck there in a
snowstorm.

Padraig

A Cold Winter’s Night in the Barony of the Bridge

Words:  Padraig Ruad O’Maolagain
Music:  Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio by Randy Sparks

A cold winter’s night in the Barony of the Bridge
Is like being nowhere at all
All day through the snowfall the wagons crawl by
As you sip on your whiskey and hear yourself sigh
Then the day just grows darker
While the wind howls and chatters
And even more snow starts to fall
You last saw the roadway this morning at ten
And the people who live there won’t be seen 'til spring
Just two sullen fighters from somewhere in Atlantia
And a Scot from Loch Ruadh on his own
All huddled by the fire in an East Kingdom tavern
To spend their big night all alone
You ask how I know of the Barony of the Bridge
Well I spent a week there one night
They have entertainment that’s thrilling by far
You can watch the bartender serve drinks at the bar
Ah, but lets not forget the good folks of the Bridge
Spend several months covered in snow
You won’t have to stay there, thank God that it’s true
So smile and be grateful you live in Loch Ruadh
Just bide by the fire, and sip on your whiskey
And continue to watch the snow fall
And here’s to the snow of the good old East Kingdom
Cousins, you can keep it all