[Loch-Ruadh] GW Registration and Camp Layout

Dana sca004 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 12 15:02:37 PST 2005

Emma,

Not to put a damper on going to War but....

Have you camped at a couple of  SCA events yet?
If your children are not going with you to War disregard any references to
children in the rest of this missive.
Do you know how well your can children handle a whole week of camping?
Do you have EVERYTHING you will need for 7 days of camping...
Large tent, coolers, cots, bedding, heater, chairs, food, feast gear, etc
Can you keep your kids entertained for 7 days away from home?
Will you have the time and energy to help with camp set up and tear down?
Do your fair share of day to day camp jobs while taking care of 3 children?

Going to War is expensive...
Getting your vehicle ready and able to travel 1000 miles without any
problems.
Will your vehicle carry everything you need for a weeks worth of camping or
will you need to pull a trailer?
Gas both ways.
Stopping to eat at least once each way.
Breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks for a week for you and the children
(they eat a whole lot more being outside all day).
Contributing to the cost of at least one evening meal.
Not to mention garb for all of you for 7 days, considering temperatures can
range from 16 degrees to 85 humid degrees.
And if you forgot anything the nearest Wal-Mart is about 30 miles away.

Both of these lists go on and on I am just mentioning the most obvious.

I have been to 12 Wars and have seen a few people be so disappointed in
their War experience that they have dropped out of the SCA because they were
not prepared for what they were getting into. War is so much different than
a Kingdom event for even the experienced SCA camper. At War people have a
lot less time to help you because there is SO much that takes their
attention (classes, fighting, shopping, partying, drinking, singing and
catching up with friends they have made from other Kingdoms) and time. I
would hate for this to be your experience because you are so very new to our
game.

I am staying home and thinking about having a Gulf War Pity Party and maybe
a shopping trip for those of us not going to War.
Gulf War is just getting to be too much for my body to handle.

I wish you the best on whatever you decide to do.

Dana

Padraig wrote:
Emma,

You don't have to be be a paid member of the SCA to go to Gulf War, so
please don't let that stop you.  You will have to pay the non-member
surcharge, but we'd hate for you to miss War just because you haven't become
a card-carrying Scadian yet.

Emma wrote:

We would like to come, but we are not registered with
SCA yet. I think it said that in order to camp at a
group's site you need to be registered with SCA. So,
any help would be great.