[Loch-Ruadh] Body double class

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 26 17:43:29 PST 2005

The Knight Marshall didn't ask me, I still want to make one so I can fit armor to it.  Chantel is interested, too.  What materials do we need again?  I remember @ 2 rolls of duct tape, stuffing, and seems like you said wire coat hangers?

  Terrence

Chris Harper <bice.pietro at charter.net> wrote:
  On Saturday, Jan. 7th we are making Body Doubles at Baroness Dana's house.  We plan to start about
10am because this sounds time consuming.  Everyone should have a partner to work with and anyone
that does not plan to make a form could come and cut tape; besides you can laugh alot.  After checking
with the Knights Marshall and finding no males interested in this, I am planning on females only.  I thought
this would be best since we will be in very unflattering attire most of the time.

If you have any questions you can email or call me at 817 737-5153.

Bicé
Loch Ruadh MoAS

The following is a list of material.

Needed for Body Double or Dress Form

Stand and Support:

Pipe long enough to reach from the floor to your chin (for not adjustable)
pipe should be at least 1 ¼” ID.

If you want it to be adjustable, you will need two pipes; one should
be 1¼” ID and as long as from the floor to your mid hip.  The second
one should fit over the outside of the first one and be as long as from
your shoulder to your knees.  Also a couple of cotter keys.

You will also need some kind of stand that will grip your bottom pipe.
I plan to use a Christmas tree stand.  If you want to do this, you may
need to increase the diameter of the pipes accordingly to fit the stand.

To support the shoulders and help attach the body to the pipe, you will
need 5 old fashion wire hangers (like "Mommie Dearest" didn’t like).

Notes:
I am considering your possible use as costume display in A & S
competition; the idea of adjustable pipes, so you could sit it on a table
to display a doublet or bodice.  If you don’t think you will ever want to
use it that way, then I wouldn't make it adjustable.

When I said tree stand, I was thinking of the round, weighted ones.  An
umbrella stand would work as well, if it is weighted. Also any kind of
banner stand.  After Christmas would be a good time to buy the tree stand

Body Form

You will need a fairly tight fitting T-shirt, which you don’t ever want to see
again. I read that a size 10 used 1½ to 2 rolls of duct tape.  Of course they
didn't say what size the rolls were.  Based on that info, I figure I will just
start with a case of tape for my form.  Anyway, you can make your own
guess at what you will need and I plan to have some extra available, in case
it is needed.

Next you will need stuffing.  It will probably take more than you think
because it will have to be packed in tight for stability.  After we finish
the tape forms and get them stuffed, you will probably want to cover
them with some kind of soft fabric.  This can be done at a later date.