[Loch-Ruadh] OT: Literary question (gasp!)

Dondi Ratliff rioshade at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 09:55:38 PST 2005

Here's the skinny.  I have a short paper due soon, and I've realized my
topic may be a little wieldy to research without somewhere to start.  So, I
figured I'd ask here for that starting point.

Fantasy novels.  Of any age.  That's the realm I'm looking at first.
Fiction of a literary type or general type would be second in importance
(but, by all means, mention those too!).

Specifically, I'm looking for scenes or background where you have a setting
that's at least vaguely Oriental, and the powerful men in charge have boys
they dote upon.  Eunuchs or not stated.

An example of what I'm after?

In the literary novel "Mister Johnson" by Joyce Cary, he portrays two minor
characters, Waiziri and Saleh, in a certain light.  Waiziri is a powerful
non-Caucasian man in the government of Nigeria in Africa at that point, and
has many wives and children.  He "gets" a new boy, Saleh, and dresses him up
and gives him everything he wants.  He's quite infatuated with him and
spoils him.

The kicker?  Nigeria at that time (like today) had a great deal of Islamic
influences.

After I read those scenes between W and Saleh, I could recall a few times
where I'd read something like that in the fantasy genre, though no specific
books.  Given there were Christians in the novel already, and pagan natives,
the only other religion that W and Saleh could've been was Muslim.  Their
little setup was one that was also portrayed in India and in the Middle East
- also places where you might say other religions than Christian held sway.
The "Orient."

I want to find out two things for my short and long papers:

1.) Was this really a portrayal of Muslims and their religion, or was it a
different religion that was being stereotyped and horribly misunderstood?

And....

2.) Did fantasy take up the very real stereotypes made by postcolonial
writers and keep the idea going even up until today?  (not necessarily a
good or a bad standpoint, mind, but just did it seem to get the idea there
and run with it?)

I only have about 5 pages with this first paper, so those two things should
do me well.  Trouble is, I have to document everything, and I'm not sure
where to start looking.  So, anyone read any good books lately?  *curious*

Dondi