[Loch-Ruadh] Hello?

Madelina de Lindesay lymadelina at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 11:31:10 PST 2005

Perhaps when I visited the chiurgeon or perhaps the apothecary, someone there was willing to accept my kind gift.  The chiurgeon wished to bleed me, or at least place some leeches upon my neck, but as I have a queasiness on the sight of blood, I went instead to the apothecary shop.  The good man there gave me a draught made from moldy bread, which he swears will draw out the impurities in my blood, and balance my humors, which are phlegmatic at the moment.

My lord husband has been uncharacteristically gentle and kind during my illness, preparing by his own hand various soups, teas, and dainties to tempt my sluggish appetite.  I must say, his chicken soup does make mine own pale in comparison.  I know not what secret ingredient he uses, but I think I might be tempted to feign illness in the future if only to have him prepare this delicious fare.

The only concoction which I rebelled against was his infamous Biohazard.  He swears that it is a wonder against any type of pox or plague.  I do not doubt his claim, however, I am afraid I would not survive the cure.

I am feeling somewhat restored today, but upon my lord husband's orders, I am to remain abed at least two more days, so as to not suffer a relapse.  I did sit outside for a few moments in the warm sun, which did seem to stir my blood and encourage sanguine humors, but I know I still tire easily, and find sleep comes almost without warning.

This evening, I may take up Padraig's suggestion, and have a warm posset to ease the soreness of my throat.

I wish you good health, and hope that the affliction which has laid me low does not visit your door.

Madelina