[Loch-Ruadh] forgotten English

Madelina de Lindesay lymadelina at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 09:03:25 PST 2005

Thursday, March 24:  Purim begins at sunset

Thirty-pound knight - James I became the subject of much ridicule, not quite unmerited, for putting honours to sale.  He created the order of baronet, which he disposed of for a sum of money; it seems he sold common knighthood as low as £30.... Arthur Wilson's "History of Great Britain" (1653) says, "At this time, kinghts swarmed in every corner, the sword ranged about, and men bowed in obedience to it, more in peace than in war." - Robert Nares' "Glossary of the Works of English Authors", 1859

Death of Queen Elizabeth I )1533 - 1603) - On Elizabeth's demise, Scotland's James VI, son of Mary Queen of Scots, received word that he had inherited the English throne.  He wasted no time in becoming a veritable conucopia of knighthoods, distributing several hundred to English and Scottish nobles even before arriving in London for his cornonation as James I.  Jonathan Swift's "Polite Conversations" (1738) related a bit of satirical folk etymology regarding the word "sirloin":  "Our King James I,.... being invited to dinner by one of his nobles and seeing a large loyn of beef at is table, drew out his sword and... knighted it."

©Jeffrey Kacirk