[Loch-Ruadh] Friendly Gulf Wars reminder

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Mar 7 10:14:36 PST 2005

A few off the top of my head:

A pair of rubber boots can be a god-send.  (Polydore nearly got mugged for
his at Gulf War VIII)

Pack in plastic tubs where possible. Pack as much of your clothing as
possible in ziplock bags - dampness tends to get into everything, even
plastic tubs.  (And if you squish the air out of the ziplock bags,
clothing will be more compact for packing.)

Keep a set of clothing, and if possible spare footwear, in your vehicle.
If the weather turns nasty, you'll at least have dry clothes to drive home
in.

A can (or more) of Scotchgard applied liberally to your cloak can help
keep you much drier should the sunshine turn liquid.  (Test it first on a
part of the cloak that doesn't show - it won't stain or alter the color of
most fabrics, but you never know.)

Instant soups, oatmeal, noodles, etc., make a quick, warming meal.

Large plastic garbage bags - indispensible for wet/dirty garb, bedding, etc.

Baby powder helps prevent chafing much better than regular talcum powder.

Wet Ones / other premoistened wipes are good for hand/face washing in the
camp environment.

Padraig