[Loch-Ruadh] Name and nationality help

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Wed May 11 15:21:29 PDT 2005

Well, it might be easier to decide what period and personna she is interested in first, then look for names from there.  If she isn't sure about that, she might look for names that cross a lot of periods and nationalities, Mary for example can be Mary, Marie, Maria, or others.  Catherine is another good example.  Keep in mind that if she decides she would rather try another personna and name, she is free to change later.

www.s-gabriel.org has a lot of info on names, including links to different nationalities and names from census, tax rolls, muster rolls, and other period lists of names.

Terrence

Robyn Cantley <elyssiaxvx at hotmail.com> wrote:
I have a friend that I have been helping get into the SCA. She is needing
help on finding a name and a good ....I guess......nationality for her
persona. So far I sent her an old e-mail on names with these websites...I
believe from Domnhail:

"As Crandall has already said http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/ is a
really good place to start. As far as web pages to avoid using
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/badpages.shtml will give you a list of
where to avoid and why.
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/Annotatedname.html will give you a
listing of both good and bad source books to go through. "

If anyone has any other websites that I could give her, I would greatly
appreciate it. Also, any good tips that I could give her so she doesn't feel
overwhelmed? She's planing on going to warlord, will there be resources out
there from heralds?

Thanks guys,
Ceara