FW: [Loch-Ruadh] computer

Patrick Bixler pbwidget68 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 07:33:53 PST 2005

Computers that have issues because of slowdowns or
locking up are usually some of the hardest or time
consuming ones to deal with.

My suggestion would be to find a good functional
computer and put together a CD with some good software
tools on it and install those on your computer.

My software toolkit includes

Spybot 1.4
Norton's Antivirus version 10

Spybot is downloadable from download.com or their
official web site at
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/.  You
should also download the definition update while you
are there as it is one less thing to download.

The other thing is to go to the website of the
Antivirus software you are using and download their
virus updates and install those as well to make sure
you are up to date.

Make a CD with those things on it.

After running spyware and virus detection software if
your computer is still having problems, then you
should start to disable applications that load up
during startup.  The more icons you have next to your
clock in the lower right corner of windows, the more
resources are being used.  Right now, I have 4 icons
next to my clock and they include email, chat program,
antivirus and the speaker.

If you are running Windows XP, you can also go to Run,
then type in msconfig to bring up the configuration
utility.  Under the startup tab are other applications
that are running at start up.  Some of the things
there might be related to system devices (sound
consoles, etc.).  You can disable all, then restart
and see what happens and slowly go back in and check
only those things you know are required.

The only other thing I can think of after that is
cleaning up the various temporary folders that might
be stored on your computer and they are usually
everywhere.  C:\windows\temp is just one location.

The length of this email is probably one of the
reasons why no one has responded to your request.  As
I stated before, these issues are usually one of the
hardest or time consuming to deal with.

Others may have other suggestions to this, but this is
where I usually start.

Eirikr