[Loch-Ruadh] New Christmas Carols

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Thu Nov 17 12:33:24 PST 2005

Greetings!

I am working on learning some new (to me) Period Christmas carols, and
thought you might be interested in them as well.  I’m attaching the lyrics
to this email, and providing links to .wav files of the songs – I’m hoping
we can practice these at Bardic the Satruday after Thanksgiving.

The first is Down in Yon Forest, which appears to be a variation of The
Corpus Christi Carole.  Click here
http://soundamerica.com/sounds/themes/Christmas_Songs/D/Down_In_Yon_Forest_-_Bruce_Cockburn.wav
to go to the .wav file to listen to it.

The second is Fum Fum Fum, a Catalan (Spanish) carol.  A couple of notes
about the .wav file:  I chose this particular version because the tempo is
a little slower than some others I found, making it easier to follow and
learn.  However, the singers pronounce “fum” as it is spelled (to rhyme
with “bum”).  Other versions and some documentation I’ve put this
pronunciation as “foom” (to rhyme with “boom”).  Also, in the .wav file,
the third verse is just the first verse repeated.  In the lyrics I’ve
attached, the third verse has different words from the first.  Click here
http://soundamerica.com/sounds/themes/Christmas_Songs/E-F/Fum_Fum_Fum_-_The_Sussex_Carolers.wav
to go to the .wav file to listen to it.

I’m also writing a Period style carol that my muse hit me with, and will
forward the lyrics and a link to a .wav file as soon I finish it and can
make a rudimentary recording of it, hopefully this weekend.

In Service,
Nunc est bibendum.
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.