[Loch-Ruadh] cheeze

Madelina de Lindesay lymadelina at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 21 06:58:15 PDT 2005

Padraig,

I thought it was pronounced suh-VAIN.  I understand if the aspirated consonant is a "broad" consonant, it sounds like a w, but if it is a "slender" consonant, it gets the v sound.  Honestly, I don't know the difference between the two, but I'm wondering if maybe it's sort of like "The Great Vowel Shift", in that the pronounciation has changed over time.  Or perhaps different dialects having different pronunciations.  Would Irish Gaelic be significantly different from Scots Gaelic?

In any case, I never thought about it, but yeah, a Scadian with lots of nice garb could really clean up at Halloween costume contests.

LOL

Madelina