[Loch-Ruadh] Disaster Relief from Loch Ruadh computer expertsanybody

Connal mac_daddy at ev1.net
Sun Sep 4 10:39:35 PDT 2005

the largest database to locates relatives is the ICRC site
http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina
you can use that to post info on someone who is safe or look for someone who
is missing those without net access can call 1-877-loved1s <1-877-568-3317>
also sites such as www.pleasenotifyme.org and www.salvationarmyusa.org have
lists to help locate and notify relatives
as for Salvation Army, Red Cross, and FEMA not showing up at your shelter
yesterday, they are a bit overwhelemed which is why they are asking for
volunteers to help them <and not just money> and of course FEMA, bein a
goverement agency, isn't asking for money, they get all their funding from
the goverement.
Hurricane Katrina is the most devestating disaster to ever hit the United
States in terms of damage, area of destruction and in all probability, loss
of life. We are used to seeing things like this in the free world, but it
appears nobody ever thought "it could happen to us" and our relief
infrastructure has been taxed way beyond its capabilities.
if the shelter is in need, might I suggest you contact the Red Cross and
Salvation Army and request it, if it has not already been done <they may not
even know your shelter exists> and if they are aware of your shelter, be
patient, as most of the Red Cross disaster response teams from DFW were sent
TO Louisiana before it was known that evacuees would be coming here and they
are extremely short handed. in fact, had we been able to find someone to
take care of the kids an animals, Magdalea and I would have left for
Louisiana Tuesday when it was reqested by her hospital that those that
could, be transfered temporarly to hospitals closer fo the disaster scene.
Also please remember, that those organizations right now are primarily
concerned with finding shleter for the thousands of people who have not yet
been placed in a shelter and shelter already operating and have food and
water are are going to be at a lower priority then those without.
also, anyone with any kind of couseling/pastorial experience, please
concidider contacting Magdalea for volunteering their services at Plaza <or
any other of the local hospitals receiving patients from the hospitals in
New Orleans>, as often the first that these folk are aware of what has
happened is when they arrive here and see it on TV, and they have not been
able to know the full extent of the disaster, it has been quite overwhelming
to them.

Connal