[Loch-Ruadh] Ember Text

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Thu Sep 8 14:13:07 PDT 2005

The following is the text that I read prior to the awarding of the
premiere Embers of Loch Ruadh at Lughnasad.  Baroness Dana had requested
that I include this in the September-October issue of the Scarlet Letter,
but I forgot to do so.  So I hope this is the next best thing.

In Service,
Nunc est bibendum.
******************
******************
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.

There is a long tradition of service awards within the SCA, nearly as
long, in fact as the tradition of service itself.  Any group has a core
band of members who keep the group focused, growing and moving forward;
they are the heart and the vitality of the group.  This core band of
members is not fixed and unchanging; we all participate to a greater or
lesser extent as allowed by health, family situations, jobs and financial
circumstances; today’s core member may be tomorrow’s fringe player, and
vice versa.  However, nearly everyone agrees that those who give much of
themselves should be recognized; hence the tradition of the service award.

In the history of Loch Ruadh, the tradition of service awards comes down
to us from our parent group, who sponsored us as a Canton, the Barony of
Elfsea.  Even before Elfsea was a Barony, their hardest workers were
honored as the Ants of Elfsea, those tireless and dedicated members who
were the lifeblood of the group.  After achieving Baronial status, Elfsea
created the Order of the Azure Keystone as their armigerous service award,
bestowing the Order of Arms upon the receiver.  In addition, the Barony
also awards the Portcullis of Elfsea as a non-armigerous recognition.
Many members of the Shire of Loch Ruadh proudly hold one or both of these
later awards, and a rare few possess the Ant of Elfsea, and are
justifiably pleased to do so.

As we became more active as a Canton, the Officers of Loch Ruadh wished to
recognize our own hard workers, and so created the unofficial yet highly
coveted Seneschal’s Appreciation Award, and many of our people now bear
this token.  Yet when serious talk began about becoming a Shire, we also
spoke of the need to create a proper service award of our own.  Through
research, discussion and the vote of the Populace, a fitting symbol was
decided upon:  the Ember of Loch Ruadh, taken from the enflamed rock of
our Shire’s device.  This is fitting, for as Keystones of Elfsea are the
basis of that good Barony’s strong foundation, so are the Embers of Loch
Ruadh the source of the fire of our strength and resolve.  And so we shall
today honor the premiere members of the Order of the Ember, in the faith
that their numbers shall increase with the passing of the years, and keep
Loch Ruadh ever growing and vital.