[Loch-Ruadh] Gas prices-idea

Spence Mabry smabry at flash.net
Thu Apr 13 09:24:47 PDT 2006

Thank you Dana for those words, and to Dw for his and to everyone else whose
commented and posted on this very volatile subject.

I think the most we can agree on is that the prices are TOO HIGH and are NOT
ABOUT to go down anytime soon.  And, IMHO, that is partially due to us, the
consumer.  We have not argued for or fought for anything like mass transit
that really works and covers the whole Metroplex (because we're Americans,
damnit, and we have a God-Given right to drive anywhere and anytime we want)
OR for really fuel-efficient cars.  We only cry and shout when we begin to
get hurt in the place were our deepest, most abiding priority lies -- our
checkbook.

And I cry and b*t^h the loudest.

But it all makes me wonder how those who HAVE to drive to work and are
barely making it going to weather this storm -- those whose financial
situation is already at the breaking point -- who cannot afford the extra
dime or quarter or dollar per gallon that the price keeps jumping by?

How are they going to make it?

I'll make it, though I won't be happy about it.  But those others -- I feel
for them and I hurt for them and I know, deep down, that but for the Grace
of God go I, and I wonder --- what can I do?

And I don't have an answer.

Ceatta
aliquantulus ferment nunquam vulnero quisquam
(a little ferment never hurt anyone)

Getting off my soapbox now.