[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History August 4

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Thu Aug 3 20:59:54 PDT 2006

Births:
1222 - Richard de Clare, 6th Earl of Hertford, English soldier (d. 1262)
1290 - Duke Leopold I of Austria (d. 1326)
1521 - Pope Urban VII (d. 1590)

Deaths:
1060 - King Henry I of France (b. 1008)
1265 - Killed in the Battle of Evesham:
Hugh le Despencer, 1st Baron le Despencer (b. 1223)
Henry de Montfort (b. 1238)
Peter de Montfort
Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester (b. 1208)
1306 - King Wenceslaus III of Bohemia (b. 1289)
1338 - Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk, son of Edward I of England
(b. 1300)
1526 - Juan Sebastián Elcano, Spanish explorer (b. 1476)
1578 - King Sebastian of Portugal (b. 1554)
1578 - Thomas Stucley, English adventurer
1598 - William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, English statesman (b. 1520)

Other Events:
70 - The destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans
1265 - The Battle of Evesham of the Second Barons' War is fought in
Worcestershire, with the army of future King Edward I of England defeating
the forces of rebellious barons led by Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of
Leicester and killing de Montfort and many of his allies. This is sometimes
considered the death of chivalry in England.
1578 - Battle of Al Kasr al Kebir - Moroccans defeat Portuguese. King
Sebastian of Portugal is defeated and killed in North Africa, leaving his
elderly uncle, Cardinal Henry, as his heir. This initiates a succession
crisis in Portugal.