[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History August 20

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Sat Aug 19 23:28:15 PDT 2006

Births:
1517 - Antoine Perrenot de Granvelle, French church leader (d. 1586)
1561 - Jacopo Peri, Italian composer (d. 1633)

Deaths:
984 - Pope John XIV
1384 - Geert Groote, Dutch founder of the Brethren of the Common Life (b.
1340)
1572 - Miguel López de Legazpi, Spanish conquistador (b. 1502)
1580 - Jeronymo Osorio, Portuguese historian (b. 1506)

Other Events:
636 - Battle of Yarmuk: Arab forces led by Khalid bin Walid take control of
Syria and Palestine away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great
wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
1000 - The foundation of the Hungarian state, Hungary is established as a
Christian kingdom by Stephen I of Hungary.
917 - Battle of Anchialus: Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria invades Thrace and
drives the Byzantines out.
1391 - Konrad IV von Wallenrode becomes the 24th Grand Master of the
Teutonic Order.